Tuesday, December 16, 2014

My Papaw Platt


I lost my Papaw Platt last Wednesday morning.  My dad called me first thing while I was getting ready and said that he was already gone.  He had fallen during the night and my parents had gone next door to help him back to bed.  My mom had taken his blood pressure when they were over there and it was totally normal.  He was talking to them and seemed ok.  That was around midnight.  My Mamaw woke up next to him that next morning and he had already passed sometime before.  Although it hurts and it so sad it is exactly what we prayed for....him to go peacefully and at home where he wanted to be.  He was 92 years old and an amazing man.  He was left an amazing legacy of faith and family for me.  
Here are some pictures of him with his joy and delight....Lucy :)  He loved seeing her and tears would just fall down his face when he got to see her.  My mom said he'd ask about her every time she went over there.  I think it's pretty awesome that he got to meet all 26 of his great-grandchildren!

Here's him and Weston....
And Caleb......who is actually named after him.  Caleb's middle name is Franklin and that was his middle name too.
I have a pictures of him and Tyson but I can't find them right now.  Tyson loved to give Papaw his snacks....he'd always share with him :)  I love this picture of him and my Mamaw.....they would've been married for 70 years in April....that is pretty amazing!!!
He served his country as a technical sergeant in the Army Air Force during WWII.  He flew over 35 missions in the European theater, including Germany, Italy and France.  





It has been really hard to say goodbye.  Since they lived next door to my parents we saw them all the time.  They were always nearby growing up.  They came to our stuff and I remember going to their house a lot.  He had a stroke about 3 years ago and things have been different since.  He had to be in several different care facilities and finally begged to go live at home.  They had a care giver and really did pretty well.  I actually got to cut his hair the 2 years we've been moved back.  I have always loved his big, floppy ears so it gave me time to play with them :).  He had such quick wit and humor even in his last months.  My Mamaw is so very sad and this is going to be very difficult on her.  I have realized again how very thankful I am for my family.  It is hard to lose any of them but we have peace knowing he is not hurting and is home with the Lord.

No comments: