Friday, January 30, 2009

My Uncle John

This past Monday morning my Uncle John passed away. He was only 51 years old. He was diagonsed with lung cancer about 2 years ago. Right when he was diagonsed he had surgery and had one lung removed. After that, they found it in his lymph nodes and he had countless rounds of chemo. He fought hard. He was cancer free from what the scans said but he had just gotten extremely weak from all the treatments. About 2 weeks ago he got bronchitis and just kept getting weaker. He went home to be with the Lord early Monday morning. It was very sudden for all of us because we all thought that he was doing so much better. We have been in Weatherford all week with my family. It was so good to get to spend that much time with them. The funeral was Wednesday in Weatherford. My aunt Diane is so strong and is doing really well considering the circumstances. My 2 cousins....Ashley, who is a senior at Baylor, and Justin, who is a senior in high school in Weatherford are doing okay too. My uncle John has been in my life constantly. My aunt and uncle were always the ones to come to all my basketball and volleyball games while I was growing up. My uncle John was always at church and giving me high fives in the hallway when he saw me. He knew all my friends and always introduced himself as "Uncle John". He always called me "Mandy Pandy". I remember spending the night with them at their house when I was young and loving being with them. I also used to sit with them in church on Sunday mornings while my mom sang in the choir. I am so thankful that he got to meet and even play golf with Logan. And best of all he was able to meet Weston and to love on him a few times when we were in town. This picture was taken in September. I know without doubt that he is home with the Lord and healed of all his pain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. Glad you were able to be there though. I will keep you in my prayers.

Jennifer Shaughnessy
http://iwouldratherbequilting.blogspot.com/

The Giles Family said...

We're sorry to hear this. I'm glad you were able to come spend time with family this week. Hope you had a safe trip and we're thinking about you guys.

Ro and Kelsey Smith said...

Great picture of John and Weston. I thought the service was so good, and it really was a celebration of John and his dedication to the Lord. I will continue to pray for your family in the weeks to come. And, the dogs won't always be the kids, we will have some sooner or later:) I know it will be SUPERfun!

Crystal said...

Aw, Mandy! I'm so sorry. I remember you telling me about him when we found out about my dad. It sounds like he was a very neat person. I'll be praying for your family!